Amaco Shino Glaze SH32 Cacao Matte 473ml is a 100% mixable cone 5/6 mid-fire glaze that yields wonderfully varied shades depending on the thickness of application.
Influenced by the humble earthiness of tea ceremony bowls, AMACO Shino glazes give a traditional high-iron look to any mid-fire clay body.
Beautiful on textured or smooth clay bodies, blendable to get the right degree of matte or glossy surface.
Shino glazes can also be layered with our AMACO Potters Choice glazes for different effects.
Firing Range: Cone 5 – 6
Food Safety: AP Food-safe and Dinnerware Safe when fired. Tableware producers must test all finished ware to establish dinnerware status, due to possible variations in firing temperature and contamination.
See product label for additional firing and application information for individual glazes.
- Mix well.
- Apply 1-3 coats of glaze to ware. Thicker application produces lighter results.
- Allow each coat to dry before applying the next coat.
- Fire to cone 5/6 as follows.
- Cone 5 = 1184°C (at 150°C/hour for the final 100°C of firing)
- Cone 6 = 1241°C (at 150°C/hour for the final 100°C of firing)
- Heavy Iron reduction look in oxidation
- Suitable for Red or White Clay bodies
- Blendable to get gloss or matte variations
- AP food-safe and dinnerware safe once fired
Note: Pictured chip results were fired in Oxidation at cone 5/6 on White Stoneware Clay.
Testing Amaco Shino Glazes
Layering Amaco Shino Glazes
Layering Amaco Potters Choice over Amaco Shino glazes - PART 1