The principle behind Minnesotta Clay Company's Graffito Paper is exactly the same as carbon paper.
The Graffito sheets are embedded with a ceramic underglaze that will transfer to bisqueware when drawn upon using a pen or pencil. This means that any image or photograph can be transferred to your ceramic piece. However, unlike carbon paper, Graffito colours remain after firing.
Sheet Size: 23cm Square
Pack Size: 6 sheets
Firing Temp: Fires between Cone 06 - Cone 8
1. Select a piece of artwork that you would like to transfer to your ceramic bisque piece. Appropriate materials for artwork include: handrawn images, newspaper images, photocopies or computer printouts preferably on lighter weight paper.
2. Trim a strip of Graffito paper to the size of your artwork.
3. Lay the Graffito paper on your ceramic bisque piece. Either side of the paper will work.
4. Lay the artwork over the Graffito paper. (You can use several pieces of transparent tape to secure your artwork and Graffito to the ceramic bisque piece while you do your tracing).
5. Trace the artwork through the Graffito on to ceramic bisque using a ball-point pen or pencil.
6. Fire at Cone 013 prior to glazing. This burns off the wax within the product.
7. Then glaze and fire to the desired temperature and apply a clear glaze to finish.
- After transferring your image, some clean up with a sharp tool may be required to remove excess underglaze which has pulled away from the transfer paper during tracing.
- Since the application of this product requires firm pressure with a pen/pencil, application to soft greenware or leather hardened clay is not suitable. Bisque is best!
- If you glaze the piece without first firing the piece to burn off the wax, the image area will resist glaze.
- Depending on how firmly you press down when tracing over your image, the finished result can be solid and clean, or can retain the feeling of old mimeograph illustrations or text from carbon copy forms.
- Use a clear gloss glaze for a sharp finish. Matte or satin clear glazes will result in a softer finish.