Clay Mender is an “enhanced slip” that is intended to be used to repair and/or add attachments to greenware or bisque.
Use on greenware or bisque to mend, fuse and correct clay defects. Simply moisten pieces with water-no extra adhesive required!
Clay Mender is certified as Non-Toxic.
- Scoring the location where an attachment will be placed will strengthen the bond. Use a needle tool, toothpick, etc. to score the surface.
- Apply a generous coat of AC-306 and immediately and firmly press the pieces together, holding them into place for 10-20 seconds until they become affixed.
- Let the area dry.
- After drying, the areas can then be sanded and smoothed to prepare for decoration.
- A top dressing of an underglaze may be needed.
- Clay Mender sometimes will show a slightly different colour than the clay being used.
- There are times when the glaze will not readily adhere to the mended area and the top dressing of an underglaze will overcome this problem.
- Fire to shelf cone 04.
- Do not spray.
- If there is an area that did not fill in completely with Clay Mender, an additional application may be necessary.
- For larger cracks/repair areas: thicken Clay Mender with a little clay to create a spackle-like paste.
- For holes: thicken Clay Mender as above. Fill in the area slowly and let it dry. Repeat until the area is filled and level with the surrounding areas. A piece of cardboard can be used to support the back of the missing area while you work.
- Hairline cracks can be difficult to repair. It helps to widen the crack and then fill this area with the Clay Mender, thus bonding the gap.