Mayco Magic Metallics are water-based acrylics that contain genuine ground metal particles, which can be treated with a variety of oxidising liquids to create unique finishes.
Mayco Magic Metallics can can be applied to almost any paintable surface: glass, wood, fabric, Styrofoam, paper, ceramic, etc. And when dry, the surface will appear and feel like a true metal surface.
MM-105 Gold Metallic will develop a patina stain when treated with MM-202 Green Patina. Use over dark undercoat colours for maximum brilliance. Seal with Matte Sealer to prevent further oxidation. Do not fire.
- Magic Metallics are NOT a faux metallic painting process but an actual layering of metal particles.
- Non-Fired product
- Can be mixed to create an endless variety of metallic colours
- Can be mixed with acrylic paints
General Use / Application Instructions:
- Shake well and frequently before use to ensure the metal particles are well distributed.
- The surface should be completely clean, dry and free from dust.
- The inside of hollow objects should be sealed prior to the application of the metals.
- Apply a basecoat of the metallic finish. Allow to dry.
- Apply a second coat.
- If you desire a patina or rust (steel only) finish, apply the appropriate solution while the second coat is still wet and slightly tacky. As the solution dries, the Patina will develop.
- Once the desired effect is achieved remove excess moisture with a paper towel, hair dryer, or fan.
- The metals will continue to oxidize as long as they are exposed to water or oxidizing liquids.
- Seal with a Matte Sealer to prevent further oxidation.
Food Safety: Magic Metallics are certified as Non-Toxic, safe for use by artists of all ages when used according to manufacturer’s directions. For ornamental use only.
- The use of a base colour beneath the Magic Metallic, the length of time the product is allowed to process before it is neutralized or dried and the temperature and humidity can influence the final surface.
- Sealing the inside of porous craft surfaces (such as bisque vases/vessels/planters etc.) will prevent continued oxidation.
- Patinas may be applied with a brush, sponge or by spraying.
- It is a good idea to use dedicated brushes for the application of metals as remaining residue could contaminate other products.
- An antique effect can be achieved by taking a dry cloth and remove some of the Patina on the highlights on the piece.
How to Apply Patina with Magic Metallics
What are Magic Metallics?
Mayco Magic Metallics Overview